Thursday, May 01, 2008

Direction...



Emily's latest art journal prompt is DIRECTION.
When I read this prompt I immediately had in mind a picture from a magazine that I tore out a while ago, showing part of the Amazon river from the sky... flowing to all kinds of directions... So I positioned the picture on my art journal page and started thinking what to do with the background when I heard my mini-me crying..which means I have to leave my desk and feed or cuddle her. I am 100% sure she has this 6th sense: she KNOWS that I am upstairs and it seems like she always starts crying when I have just opened a tube of paint!

Anyway, being called away has its advantages.... you sometimes get better ideas when you stop working on something and take the time to think it over.
So this morning, when Mini-Me was taking her 2nd nap of the day I rushed up stairs, opened 3 tubes of paint, started mixing and applied the purplish background colour to my pages with an old creditcard (just to speed up the process, brushing would take too long). Dropped some red paint on the page, closed the book to create a rorschach-effect. The picture with the exuberant colours came from a coffee advertisement and I loved it! The picture on the left page came from a newspaper and represents a Mormon woman. I made a clear adhesive paper transfer from this photo, the cool thing of this type of transfer is that it sticks to the page without having to apply glue or anything.
Well.. to make a long story short: I used the 2 images to support my journaling about finding the right direction; finding balance between a decadent lifestyle and a sober one. That's what I want my daughter to learn.. use elements of both these "worlds" to have a complete life :-).

4 comments:

D@nielle said...

fab page and good sentiment !

Nathalie Kalbach said...

wooooowwsssers- this page is soo cool!!!! Love what you did- the layers and colors. Hehehe- I think a couple minutes a day a doing you really good!

Anonymous said...

WOW - loving the art journal!!!

Angelique said...

Soberheid en decadentie... GEWELDIG! Heel herkenbaar!